Thursday, August 11, 2011

Day 8

A picture that makes you laugh.

I have quite a few funny pictures from my 26 years and all the adventures that I've been on. However, I didn't want to embarrass any of my friends, or family; and a lot of those pictures are actually in albums at my parent's house in my closet for safe keeping (or at least till we have a more permanent residence).

So I did find this one...

This is a picture of the 16 kids I taught my first year of teaching. Why does it make me laugh? Seemingly good looking kids, right? A young, fresh out of school teacher?

No.

This picture makes me laugh because I had absolutely NO idea what I was doing all year long! What first year teacher does?? Furman is a great school, don't get me wrong. But Furman's education program is very idealistic, and in my opinion now, very unrealistic. Reality hit like a ton of bricks the first day. I had 6 Hispanic kids (one who had only been in the country for 3 days and spoke NO English); a textbook ADD/ADHD kid who was not on meds; a young girl who thought and acted like she was 16; and a few serious troublemakers. And on top of it all, I was working on my masters, and planning my wedding.

I laugh at this picture because as my mentor said, "at the end of the day you can either laugh or cry". I did a lot of both - mostly crying then, and more laughing now.

God Bless



No comments:

Post a Comment