Friday, September 30, 2011

Spice Cake or Muffins

Last week I had Friday morning off, so I decided to bake something for the ladies at the church I work at. I was flipping through recipe books trying to find something I could make that I actually had all of the ingredients for and found this recipe in BHG New Cookbook. These turned out super good and moist! Everyone I gave them to asked for the recipe!


Spice Cake or Muffins

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups white whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 cup shortening (I didn't have any, so I used coconut oil, and it they still tasted good)
  • 1 1/2 cups unrefined sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups buttermilk 
What to do:
  1. Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes
  2. Preheat oven 350 and Grease and flour one 13x9x2 baking pan, or two 8x1 1/2 round pans, or 18 cupcakes
  3. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger - set aside
  4. In a mixing bowl, beat butter and shortening on high for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until well combined. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each one.
  5. Alternate adding buttermilk and flour on low speed.
  6. Pour into prepared dish
  7. Bake - pan: 35-40 min; round pans: 30-35 min; cupcake pans: 20 min. (use the toothpick test to make sure they're cooked through)
  8. Cool thoroughly
  9. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment