Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Sourdough Starter

I want to expand my culinary experiences.
For example, I made a cheesecake from scratch for Paul's birthday. This was the first time I've ever made a cheesecake from scratch. As you can see it wasn't the prettiest cheesecake in the world, but it's the effort that counts, right?!


Today, I decided to try something I've wanted to do for a long time - make a sourdough starter. Basically, I'm growing a "culture" until it is mature and ready to use. It takes a lot time and care because you have to "feed" it every 12 hours and watch it closely to make sure its growing and expanding and breathing and bubbling and doubling and all that jazz!
So the next week or so will be chronicling my experiment in growing a sourdough starter!

Day 1:
  • clean mason jar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup rye flour
  • 1/2 cup white flour
Mix everything together and let it sit in a warm area for 24 hours.
Easy enough so far!



God Bless

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to hear how this goes! I may have to start one too.. I love sourdough! :)

    ReplyDelete