Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My own, and first, recipe!


I've already mentioned how much I love to cook, and love quinoa, but as of yet, I've used recipes I've found on-line. Tonight, however, I decided to try creating something on my own...and it worked! I made a mexican quinoa casserole and it was actually pretty good! So...without further ado, here's my recipe:

Ingredients
1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup water
1/4 cup taco sauce
1 tbsp ground flaxseed
3 tbsp water
1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
1/4 onion, sliced
1-2 tbsp oil
1/2 cup corn
1/2-1 cup black beans
salsa
1 avocado, chopped
1/2 lemon

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium sauce pan, add quinoa, water, and taco sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes till quinoa is translucent and has absorbed all the liquid
3. Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over med-high heat. Add oil, and then peppers and onion. Saute till tender. Add corn and black beans just to heat them up. Set aside.
4. In a small bowl, mix flaxseed and 3 tbsp water. Stir this mixture into cooked quinoa.
5. Pour a layer of salsa on the bottom of a small baking dish. Then spread half of the quinoa over the salsa. Place the onion and pepper mixture on top of the quinoa. Pour a layer of salsa on next (just add as much as you want). Then spread the remaining quinoa on next. Top with a layer of salsa and then cheese.
6. Bake for about 25 minutes.
7. While the casserole is baking, make some fresh guacamole. In a small bowl, add chopped avocado, juice of 1/2 a lemon, a dash of salt and pepper. Mix well and put in fridge to chill.
8. Serve casserole with a scoop of fresh guacamole. Enjoy!

Maybe, just maybe, I can start using what I've read from other recipes and seen on TV to start creating my own meals. That's my goal at least. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment