Monday, October 31, 2011

Brown Rice Tart with fresh tomato and feta

Have I mentioned yet that I love the new vegetarian cookbook I got in Nashville?! Because I LOVE it!

Paul works at the hospital and interacts with some interesting characters! A couple of times, some of the patients will bring things in for him. Last winter, Paul mentioned to one lady that I like scarves, so she knit me a scarf! How sweet is that?! This year, he has a patient who grows tomatoes and brings in bushels full. Paul brought some home over the weekend and I knew I wanted to use them for dinner one night this week.


And since it is Meatless Monday, I found this recipe in my new cookbook.

Brown Rice Tart with Fresh Tomato Filling


Rice Crust:
1 cup brown rice
1/2 cup grated Cheddar Cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten

Fresh Tomato Filling:
6 Roma tomatoes, halved or thickly sliced (or whatever kind you have on hand)
6 cloves garlic, unpeeled
1 TBSP olive oil
8 sprigs fresh lemon thyme
2 oz goat or feta cheese, crumbled
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup milk

1. Preheat oven to 400
2. To make rice crust: Cook rice according to box. Set aside to cool. Mix rice, cheese, and egg in a bowl. Spread over the base and sides of  lightly greased 10 inch quiche dish and bake for 15 minutes.


3. To make tomato filling: Place tomatoes, cut side up, and garlic on a non-stick baking tray, brush lightly with oil and sprinkle with pepper. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Remove skins from garlic.

4. Reduce oven temperature to 350.

5. Arrange tomatoes, garlic, lemon thyme, and goat cheese over the rice crust

6. Beat eggs and milk in a small bowl. Pout over tomatoes.

7. Bake for 1 hour or until set




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. This looks yummy!! Hope to see you next week!

    Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!

    http://realfoodforager.com/2011/10/fat-tuesday-november-1-2011/
    If you have grain-free recipes please visit my Grain-Free Linky Carnival in support of my 28 day grain-free challenge! It will be open until November 2.

    http://realfoodforager.com/2011/10/grain-free-real-food-linky-carnival/

    ReplyDelete