Monday, July 18, 2011

Ironman

Some call it crazy. Some call it insane. Some call it a feat worth trying. Some call it the hardest, most challenging, and best thing they've ever done in their life.
It's the...
Paul and I watched a show about the Ford Ironman World Championship in Kona, Hawaii. I was inspired. So I started my research on the Ironman. It's a race that started out as a competition for Navy Seals, and is now the most recognized world endurance event. There are two different Ironman Series - the Ironman 70.3, and the Ironman 140.6.

Ironman 70.3 - 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run - 8 1/2 hour time limit
Ironman - 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run - 17 hour time limit

Talk about true physical strength and endurance. You qualify for the events according to spots available in each age group. I don't know what all the age groups are, but there were men and women in their 60's and 70's at the World Championship! I'm 26. Add it to the bucket list?!?

As stated before, I was inspired.
So far, I've run 2 half marathons (13.1 miles), and a couple 10Ks. 
Right now, I can run about 5 miles without any problems. I haven't swam in....years. And I enjoy leisure bike rides around Daniel Island with my family. 
I would say I have a just a little more training to do! Well, that's if I were to actually attempt something like this. I think I might start off with a couple sprint triathlons. Those have various swim, bike, and run lengths. For example, there's a sprint in Gulf Shores that's a 300 yard swim, 10 mile bike, and 2 mile run. That might be something to start off with to see if I like it. Anyone want to do it with me?

So maybe I add the Ironman to my bucket list. I don't know. It would be an amazing accomplishment, that's for sure! We'll see!!

God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment