Monday, July 25, 2011

Facebook...

To facebook or not to facebook? 
I have been on facebook since it started how ever many years ago while I was in college. At first it seemed like a popularity contest...who could get the most friends. Then it became a connection to the past...I could look up old friends from my childhood (like my best friend in elementary school!). Then it was a way to keep up with people without actually talking to them on a regular basis (like finding out that my cousin who lives in China is engaged).
But what about all the dangers of facebook?
This was brought up at my family reunion this past week (hence the week long hiatus). Nothing on facebook is truly "save" and protected. While privacy settings may prevent some people from seeing my information, the truth is, people can hack into facebook and find out way more about me than I may want them to. According to my dad, everything posted on facebook actually belongs to facebook - posted comments, messages, pictures, videos, etc. Even if something is taken down, it's still there somewhere. Employers look at facebook pages, and people have lost their jobs because of it. So is it really worth it?? While it's a great way to stay connected to people...there are a lot of problems associated with it. I'm considering canceling my account.
I don't know if I want the world knowing that much about me.

God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment