Wednesday, April 20, 2011

now what?!


I finished Harry Potter!!
NOW WHAT?!!
For the past 4 months, Harry has been my companion, my friend. I went on adventures with him while I walked on the treadmill at 5:00 in the morning or at 10:00 right before going to bed; I fought off dragons and evil dark lords while the kids slept during the day; I learned about spells (not that I truly believe in them), evil magical creatures like the basilisk, potions that change appearances, how to apparate and disapparate (moving through space), and legends from long ago while resting on Saturday afternoon; I learned, along with Harry, that love is one of the most powerful forces - even greater than evil - and how true that is. I learned that true friendship requires work, a give and take, but is never to be taken lightly, and true friends will remain forever.
J.K. Rowling wrote seven AMAZING books! While I do not believe in, or agree with, witches, wizards, spells, and the such, nonetheless, she wrote a gripping, compelling, thought provoking, intriguing, don't-want-to-put-it-down series of books that I will never forget. At first, there was an outcry from the Christian community to ban the books because they saw them as encouraging the Wiccan religion - witchcraft. However, upon further reading of the books, many now realize that there are several Christian parallels, and Rowling admits that she doesn't even believe in magic. When I was done reading the books, I wanted to look into the parallels that I noticed as I read to see if I wasn't the only one. And sure enough - there are numerous articles written about the overall themes of the stories and how there is a Christian undertone - fighting off evil forces, love conquering all, sacrifice for others. Here are two of the articles Redeeming Harry Potter, and J.K. Rowling Opens Up.
In summary, if you haven't read the Harry Potter series, I would HIGHLY recommend it! And then we can have a "book club" discussion! :)
Now the only thing left to do is watch the movies - I'm thinking movie marathon!!

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment