Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Trying new things

I could probably count on one hand the number of times I cooked pasta for Paul and me in the three years we lived in Charleston. I'm just not much of a pasta person. However, I found a new blog that I LOVE reading, and she had some really good and healthy looking pasta recipes. So I decided to try a couple of them. And lo and behold they were really good.

The blog is called "Oh She Glows" and the majority of the recipes are vegan, which I like. However, since I'm also cooking for a man who loves his meat, unless it's a meatless Monday, I add chicken on top for Paul.

The first recipe I tried was probably my favorite. It's a Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto Pasta. And it is amazing! It wasn't hard to make at all and the results were delicious. I blended roasted plum tomatoes, basil, oil, garlic, and salt and pepper together, and then poured it over whole wheat pasta. Easy, right?! I got a pasta roller maker thing for Christmas from Paul's grandparents, which I'm anxious to use, and I think I'm going to use it with this recipe. I want to make a homemade ravioli to go with this pesto - I was thinking a spinach, goat cheese, and walnut mixture would be perfect!


The second one I made last night. It's a Creamy Avocado Pasta. It was pretty good too! Like I mentioned before, we are really enjoying avocados, and this was a new way to use them. I blended avocado, oil, lemon juice, garlic, and salt together, and then poured it over the pasta - and then added chicken to Paul's, and Great Northern beans to mine.




The other day I also made homemade corn tortillas for the first time. I had found another new recipe which called for corn tortillas, but at the store all I could find were packs with like 30 or more in them, so I decided to get a bag of Masa Harina (corn flour) and make my own. Honestly, nothing could be simpler! Combine the Masa Harina with some water, knead for 3 minutes, roll into balls, then roll out with a rolling pin, and cook in a skillet for not even 30 seconds on each side. And they were good!! I made Black Bean Green Enchiladas with them. Another good recipe.



I enjoy trying new recipes. I would say 80% percent of the time they turn out good. But that's how I learn - by trying new things and experimenting. Some experiments are worth repeating. Some aren't.

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment