Saturday, March 9, 2013

My new set of wheels

It's official! I have a new set of wheels...kinda!



 When I went to interview for my position in District 1, they made it very clear that all certified assistants had to get their CDL and be trained and licensed to drive a school bus. I agreed because I wanted the job, and didn't think too much about it - they said once I got my CDL I would only be put on the sub list and probably not even have to drive. So in October I sat through a 4 day all-day in-class training, and then in February I started my real training and driving. I had to have 10 hours behind the wheel driving practice, and then probably another 8 hours of CDL-School bus training. I had to learn how to do a thorough pre-trip inspection, which included pointing out all the engine parts, doing a cab and driver check, and going under the bus three different times to point out all the parts under the bus! Needlesstosay, I know way more about buses than I ever thought I would.

I have been studying and studying for about a month now, and yesterday was my final test. I had to conduct a word-for-word, overly detailed thorough, pre-trip inspection (which I nailed!! thank you memorization skills from high-school theater), a skills course driving test (I think I missed 3 out of 14 points, the hardest maneuver of which I did perfectly, though!), and then a road test, which I did fine on. In the end, I passed!!

All that's left to do is go back to the DMV, get my official CDL, and send a copy off to the district offices so they can send me a certificate of some sort. And then I can drive a school bus! Not that I really want to, mind you, but I can if I'm needed.

All in all, it wasn't a bad experience. It was an opportunity to learn a new skill that not many people can say they have, and I'm mighty proud of my CDL! And if anyone ever needs a reliable, responsible, driver for a vehicle that sits over 15 passengers, just let me know!

God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment