Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Bean Stew with Cottage Dumplings

Today was a dreary day. It was raining, cloudy, and just yucky outside all day. I wanted to go for a run this morning, but once I got out there, I just couldn't. I enjoy running and all, but I'm not a die-hard-run-no-matter-what-the-weather girl. I guess you could say I'm a fair weather runner.
I did babysit for a couple of hours today as well, and had a great time building a tent! I used to make tents with my neighborhood friends all the time growing up - we built some really big tents with multiple rooms and everything. This morning, the kids loved it and had an absolute ball playing in it. However, I wasn't allowed inside! Something's wrong with that picture. I'm going back tomorrow, so I'll take my camera and take pictures. :)

Anyway, since it was such a yucky day, I made a really good pot of bean stew with cottage dumplings for dinner. Something warm and comfy sounded just right!

Bean Stew with Cottage Dumplings

stew:
1 can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce (I only had an 8 oz can, so I used that plus a can of diced tomatoes)
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp pepper

dumplings:
1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
2/3 cup whole kernel corn
1/2 cup small curd cottage cheese
1/3 cup whole grain bread crumbs
1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
2 egg whites


Heat all stew ingredients in a 3 QT saucepan to boiling; reduce heat.
Mix all dumpling ingredients together. Form into 12 small balls. Gently slide them into stew.
Cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Cover and cook about 10 more minutes or until dumplings are firm.



Serve warm and enjoy!

So I'm still not good at my food picture taking yet. I'm practicing and learning and trying at least to use my own photos. Believe me, it tastes really good although the pictures aren't that good.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. This was very interesting! Hope to see you next week!

    Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!

    http://realfoodforager.com/2011/11/fat-tuesday-november-15-2011/

    ReplyDelete