Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Classroom cuteness

Today I decided to tell my kindergartners that I'm pregnant...

Oh the fun of telling 5 year olds that you're going to have a baby.

Some of my top responses, in no particular order:

  • the obvious and inevitable - "How did the baby get in there?"
  • the made up song - "Mrs. Reid's going to have a baby! Mrs. Reid's going to have a baby!"
  • the odd - "You're having a baby? I thought you were a sister!"
  • the future thinkers - "Will the baby come to school with you? Where will it sit?"
  • the sympathizers, x3 - "My mom's having a baby!!" (only 2 were actually telling the truth)
  • the disbelievers - "Are you really having a baby?!" 
All the kids were excited and happy for me, and it was cute when they would come up and give me hugs. We did have to have the talk about gentle hugs, and they understood. 

On another note, we've been doing some fun activities in class! God bless Pinterest! That's all I've got to say. 

For Groundhogs Day, the kids all cut out and put together groundhogs. We didn't provide a template for them to cut out, we just looked at pictures of groundhogs and talked about how to make a groundhog. So the results were...cute, funny, and honestly some were kinda scary interesting... On the top they wrote whether or not they thought the real groundhog would see his shadow or not. Most voted that he would.


We're also working on creative writing. It's sad how many of these kids do not use their imaginations any more - they grow up in front of TVs and video games, and have no reason for using or engaging their imaginations. I cut out shapes, glued them to paper, and the kids had to turn them into something. Some did ok on their own, others needed a lot of help.

Right to left - New York City, a truck, a tree house, and a trash can.

We've also been working on writing with details. The kids were tasked with writing a book. They started with a bubble map that included 3 details and then one feeling. Each page of their book was then one "bubble" from their bubble map. They turned out really good, and are proudly hanging in the hallway.


We are also getting ready for Valentines Day!!
We sent home the pink hearts to the parents that said "I love my child because...", and then in class we helped the kids write "I love my family because...". Some of the pink hearts from the parents were precious!


And today we made cards with their hands as hearts - with red paint that claimed to be washable, but after washing their hands, they still had red on them! I'll go back and actually draw hearts around their hands, and then they'll add a message on the inside tomorrow. They LOVE painting their hands!


I went to wash my hands after finishing and this is what I came to!! It made me laugh, and I had to get my camera. It's a good thing we keep Lysol in the classroom. :)

It's been a fun few weeks!

God Bless


No comments:

Post a Comment