Saturday, April 7, 2012

Have your cake and eat it to!

Well...as long as you have one real cake and one diaper cake!

One of Paul's classmates is having a baby this summer and we're going to a baby shower for her tonight. Brittany and Kaleb are a sweet couple, and we have enjoyed getting to know them over this past year. We are so excited for them and their anticipated bundle of joy. They are having a little boy, Max! I love that name! I think it's so cute. :)

I offered to make a diaper cake for the shower. I made one a year ago (OMG! has it already been that long) for my sister's baby shower, and knew I could make another one for tonight. It was easier this time than last and turned out super cute!

How to make a Diaper Cake


1. Start by rolling 60-70 diapers. You can either roll them so the picture on the front of the diaper shows, or you can roll them backwards so the diapers are all white. I chose to let the pictures show - the baby Sesame  Street characters are adorable.

2. Using an empty paper towel roll, start by making a ring of 6-7 diapers touching the paper towel roll, and secure with a rubber band. Then make another ring with 13-14 diapers, secured with a rubber band. Finally, make a third ring with 18-20 diapers secured with a rubber band.


3. Using the same method, make a second layer with two rings.


4. Finally, one the top layer, stick one diaper inside the paper towel tube so there's about an inch or so sticking out. Then make one final top layer with diapers.


5. Add some decorative ribbon.

6. Then add some other embellishments - I used some baby spoons, pacifiers (designed by dentists of course), and some burp cloths on top.



I had fun making it! I had an episode of "Terra Nova" on in the background. We just got Hulu Plus and I like dinosaurs, so I thought it would it offer decent entertainment while I played worked. I don't really consider myself crafty - I would love to be, but most of the time my "crafts" don't turn out well, so I'm glad this one turned out pretty good.

Hopefully I can take some pictures tonight of the shower itself and post them later.

God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment