Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Happy Birthday Mom!

My grandmother, who my sisters and I call Mom, celebrated a big birthday in November. My family arranged for us to get together at her cabin in Dahlonega, Ga for a weekend to celebrate.


It was so wonderful to get away for the weekend with family to just sit back, relax, play some games, hike, walk, and catch up. We figured out that we hadn't all been at the cabin together as a family for over 10 years! It had been way too long, so it was great to be back all together.

I love this cabin. I have so many memories from growing up spent here. My grandparents built it in 1988-1989, so it's been around practically my whole life. My sisters and I used to spend a week at Christmas here  every year - and I can't begin to retell all the memories. This cabin will forever be held close to my heart. It is a house built with and filled with love.

When my sister and I were little we buried a time capsule that we were to open each time we were there together. However, we couldn't even remember when we opened it last so we were anxious to get out there and dig it out. The only problem was that we knew the general area in which it was buried, but not the exact location. We had to dig a few holes to find it!

My grandmother called it digging for buried treasure!

You can't see it too well, but there are about five holes in the ground from digging. This is Hanna wondering where our treasure is. 

Yah! We found it! 
I'm holding a plastic bag covered in Georgia red clay that holds an old plastic tub within which is our treasure!

That was a mighty big and deep hole for little girls to dig!

Our note inside. Evidently, we've buried this three times before! 1995, 1996, and 1999. 

The random contents - a speech, a hair rubber band, some money, a "perfect man" key chain, a magnifying glass, and a pack of gum. Hmm...not really sure what all of this meant when we put it in there, but it must have meant something to us at the time.

Of course we updated the paper record, and added new things to it. Then we reburied it. 

Saturday morning we went for a walk down the road. It was a pretty day and good for walking. 

LOVE this little guy!! These are the Carhartts Uncle Paul found for Henry. They were perfect for a weekend at the cabin. 

Saturday afternoon we hiked down the mountain to the river. Vance got to come and had a blast leaping down the mountain, over fallen trees, and of course into the river!




Meredith, my dad, and me. 

The weekend was wonderful. I honestly do not think there is anything better than quality family time. And now that my family lives in three different states, we value and hold on to the time that we can spend together. I am so blessed to have my family.

And it can only get better as it continues to grow.


Here's our group picture before we all parted ways.

Dad, Hanna, Mom, David, Meredith and Henry, Mom, Pop, Me, and Paul.

"As for me and my household, we will choose to serve the Lord"

God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment